Last week we were at several community events:
1. Day on the Farm with 900 Students. Hosted by Western Boone FFA, students preschool through 2nd grade took a field trip to Lawson’s Farm where Lucas Roosa, our Farm to Fork Manager, had a booth. Lucas taught the children about where their meat comes from and talked about the anatomy of cows, showing them what he looks for in the lungs, kidneys, heart and eyes of healthy cows. He loves teaching this age group!
2. Indiana Grown Member Sampling Event. This Old Farm was the first Indiana Grown member, an organization that supports farmers and artisans by promoting local food. For this event, Rick Watt from Distribution, who also loves to cook and has shared with us several recipes in the past, smoked a mouth watering brisket on the grill and presented it on a bed of spinach with bacon wrapped asparagus! Kristy Miller, our Farm to Market Assistant who arranged for us to be at this event, delivered the brisket to the Ivy Tech Culinary Event Center in Indianapolis where she met Lucas and they offered samples. It was a big hit and many who were there came back for seconds! There were 70-80 attendees, including Indiana Grown members, chefs, and representatives from the Indianapolis Convention and Visitors Association and the Indiana State Dept. of Agriculture.
20 % off May Specials
Pasture Raised, Non-GMO Chicken
* Breasts – bone in, boneless, and strips
* Broiler Bones – stock pile broth on rainy days
* Whole Fryers <3lb * Wings - who doesn't love wings in either a secret recipe sauces or a classic favorite
Pasture Raised, Pork
* Ground Pork Patties – Great to throw on the grill
* Sausage – Very universal; Make your own patties, meat loaf, Saturday morning biscuits and gravy… the options are endless!