My name is Joshua Fowler and I am one of the artisan butchers here at This Old Farm. I am also the value-added specialist which means I oversee the production of the cured and smoked products as well as sausages. In the coming weeks, I hope to share with you what I am learning and what I have learned working as a butcher at This Old Farm. I hope to provide you with challenging thoughts, creative ideas and savory recipes. I also want to encourage you to think more about local foods which is one of my passions.
Here is a list of upcoming topics:
1. A short article on why we should think more about local foods (Did you know that on average Americans spend 10% or less of their monthly income on food whereas most people around the world spend 20% or more?)
2. A short article on why animal fat is good for us (Hopefully this will encourage you to come and try some of our local rendered lard.)
3. A highlight of some of our best selling products here at This Old Farm and a look into how they are made (If you can’t wait, just stop by and start with our Local Hickory Smoked All Natural Bacon.)
4. A teaser about new upcoming products (Hint: Bacon has something to do with it.)
5. Seasonal recipe/meal ideas (Get the grill ready.)
6. A highlight of some of the most underrated meat cuts and how you can prepare them. (Your wallet will like this one.)
May you enjoy good local food and drink this spring.